If you have children, you know they’re at their best when they’re engaged with the world and the people around them. But when your child has hearing loss, they may not be able to communicate and interact with classmates and teachers as much as they’d like, which can lead to frustration and challenges at school. However, Oticon hearing aids and devices can help your child academically thrive.
About kids and hearing loss
Whether a child is born with hearing loss or develops it later in childhood, early intervention is key. Studies show that hearing loss can affect language, speech, and social development. In fact, children with hearing loss:
- Use shorter sentences than kids without hearing loss
- May fall one to four grades behind without intervention
- Have trouble making friends
The sooner hearing loss is addressed, the better the chance kids have to develop these valuable skills. Working with your child’s hearing care professional in conjunction with their school can help ensure they have a successful academic experience, no matter their age.
And don’t forget, your child’s hearing needs grow and change as they grow and change. Find out more about why early intervention for hearing loss is so crucial to a child’s healthy development.
Just about any child can wear a hearing aid
Here at Oticon, we want to create a better future for children with hearing loss. Our hearing aids and devices for kids come in a wide variety of styles, sizes, and colors, including:
- New Oticon Play PX, the world’s first pediatric hearing aid with an on-board Deep Neural Network (DNN) is trained with 12 million real-life sound scenes to learn how to process sounds more like the brain does. It is small and discreet and is available in 4 styles, 12 colors and 2 rechargeable options.
- Oticon Opn Play™, which comes in 4 styles and 12 colors (and includes a collection of stickers) which allows your child to express themselves and their personality.
- Oticon Xceed Play, for severe-to-profound hearing loss, is the world’s most powerful pediatric hearing aid. These also come in 2 styles, 12 colors and includes fun stickers.
Of course, kids will be kids, so we also provide accessories like our SafeLine retention cord – no more lost hearing aids!
Hearing solutions in the classroom
Classrooms are dynamic and noisy environments, which are challenging for kids with hearing loss. Students with hearing loss don’t have to just understand their teacher, but also other students in order to get the full classroom experience. Oticon’s educational solutions can help harness the power of your child’s hearing aids to give them equal experiences and support a more solid foundation for them in the classroom.
For example, our EduMic is a wireless remote microphone your child’s teacher can wear that sends their voice directly to your child’s hearing aids. This means no distracting background noise or worrying about where to sit. EduMic integrates with all Oticon Bluetooth® enabled hearing aids, including Oticon Play PX, Opn Play™ and Xceed Play.
To find out more about how you can help your child at school, contact a hearing care provider in your area today.
Until next time, wishing you and your child good hearing health!